Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Developing a cross platform game for mobile

I ever develop applications in wp7 and windows, so no games at all.
Why?
My "hobbist-startup", is composed by … just me, so when I start to make a game, I feel little scary, because a developing a game is something totally different than developing an app.

Consider these things, you must be able to produce decent graphic, code, music, and, it’s clear: code.
So the question is: how damn can I do all in less than a geologic-era?
Time is money so, maybe, the key is to have a good tools to develop your game.
According my experience, developing a triple A games , is something just impossible for just a man, so a simple puzzle games is really better and maybe can be done in spare time and less than a decade.
So I search around the net for some useful tools.
Well I already have a license of Unity 3.x, and is a great tool for 3d but also for 2d . There’re a couple of tools in the unity store to help you on making 2d games, other advantage is programming “script”, in
Unity as you know you can use c# (I love c#) or javascript and you can port your game on a wide number of platform : android, apple os, and wp7(with ffwd ), look my game for android e windows phone 7 Bouncing Marble, flash, and mac, pc and maybe in near future windows 8, which is good.
But now I’m really interested in html5/js and unity is really useless for this purpose (AFAIK), so which is a good alternative?
Well now there’s a great number of free javascript framework, but I prefer something more complete that just a simple framework or draft game engine. I need something like unity: a good editor, code, and other tools.
Yes I’m looking for something easy, rapid developing tools, so my attention turns to these two tools:


 














1) Construct2 by Scirra: great tools with no programming needed, by the way you can create a js plugin and extend the functionality of the framework. I’m honest I’ve just by a copy because I really like the Idea. The pros, that can be also a cons, is that the output is only pure html5 and javascript, so it’s clear, pour performance on mobile! But is a great tools for simple games like tetris or other games with not great movement on screen.



2) GameMaker by YoYo games: it seems something more complex, you can programming with a custom a script like js, and the target platforms is really wide , and according publisher your source can be compiled in native code for android, ios, windows ecc. But to be honest it’s really expansive that Construct2.
So now you are wait a verdict, well this two engine is really good and promise a rapid developing times so if you have a big budget and a medium programming experience go to GameMaker, but if you are just at the begin of your game adventure Construct2 can be your target, they also have a good support community and develop good games ca be done.
Clearly, I have no mention other game engines because is not really interesting for my point of view, so for now I’ve just buy Construct 2 but maybe in near future I can buy GameMaker too.
Happy coding

 Update:



3) Unity 2d: I really love Unity, now with this version come with great excitement tools for 2d game... I read lots of impression about unity and thrust me It's great! The only thing, it's clear, you need a plugin to run in browser...

No comments:

Post a Comment